Saturday, August 20, 2011

Axis lines in the figure

                          

Here are a couple examples of axis lines in gesture drawings. When referring to the back of the body, the spine is the most reliable center line.  From the front view, the central axis line runs from the sternum bone, through the naval, to the center of the pubic bone between the legs. This line often curves, depending on the model's pose. Try to determine the initial attitude of the posture and how the body shows this charge--then emphasize or exaggerate this in the drawing. In gesture drawing there is only time to capture the most important truths!  In the first drawing you can see axis lines running down the spine (S curve)and the back of the legs.  In the third drawing there are horizontal axis lines determining the angle of the hips and shoulder space and one main vertical axis determining the gravity line of the body.  

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

For anyone interested in a figure drawing book to lend extra help/practice during this class, I highly recommend "Art of Drawing the Human Body" by: Sterling. I got it at Barns and Noble not too long ago and love it :]

jenna kuiper said...

thanks Jennifer!

Unknown said...

I've got a bunch of digitized drawing books if anyone is interested, including the one Jennifer recommended above. Woo-hoo we're drawelin' - john a

Beverly Houpt said...

I've never tried drawing the spine in this way. Or really, I've never really concentrated on the shape the spine makes too much. Excited to try it out :)

Que Es? said...

I'm very interested in those digitized books-thanks John-
Katy S.

Que Es? said...

Oh- and I'm glad I can leave comments now-thank you!
K.S.

Que Es? said...

I dug out the Old Gardner’s Art through the Ages Vol. I. Copyright 2005. (p.522).

Contrapposto
The disposition of the human figure in which one part is turned in opposition to another part (usually hips and legs one way, shoulders and chest another), creating a counter positioning of the body about the central axis. Sometimes called “weight shift” because the weight of the body tends to be thrown to one foot, creating tension on one side and relaxation on the other.

landie said...

The images and the description helped me figure out the a more precise way to draw the figure and work with it from a different angle.

Kristopher Laumbach said...

I just figured out how to leave comments. I think I will check out the book Jennifer suggested. Are there any more suggestions?